- Johnny's Farm Visits & Grower Profiles
- Johnny's 2021 Grower Profiles
- Johnny's 2020 Grower Profiles
- Johnny's Tools Advisor Eliot Coleman: Celebrating Over 20 Years of Partnership | Johnny's Selected Seeds
- Late-Summer Recipe Preview with Farmer-Chef Frank Giglio | Three Lily Farm, Thorndike, Maine
- Johnny's Selected Seeds Visits Martha Stewart's Farm in the Hudson River Valley
- Javier Zamora of Javier Sanchez Medina (JSM) Organics Farms | Royal Oaks, California | Johnny's Farm Visits & Grower Profiles
- Farm Visit: 4-Town Farm, Seekonk, Massachusetts | Johnny's Selected Seeds 40th Anniversary
- Grower Profile: Selwood Green, Walton & Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada | Johnny's Selected Seeds 40th Anniversary
- Grower Profile: Peach Crest Farm & Cooper Organics, Stratford, Oklahoma | Johnny's Selected Seeds 40th Anniversary
- Farm Visit: Paradise Farms Organics - Homestead, Florida | Johnny's Selected Seeds 40th Anniversary
- Grower Profile: Growing Power Urban Farm - Milwaukee & Madison, WI & Chicago, IL | Johnny's Selected Seeds 40th Anniversary
- Grower Profile: Slegers Greenhouses - Strathroy, Ontario, Canada | Johnny's Selected Seeds 40th Anniversary
- Grower Profile: Gathering Together Farm - Philomath, Oregon | Johnny's Selected Seeds 40th Anniversary
- Grower Profile: Pleasant Valley Farm - Argyle, New York | Johnny's Selected Seeds 40th Anniversary
- Farm Visit: Mark's Melon Patch – Dawson, Georgia | Johnny's Selected Seeds 40th Anniversary
- Grower Profile: Louie's Pumpkin Patch - Skövde, Sweden | Johnny's Selected Seeds 40th Anniversary
- Grower Profile: Living Water Farms - Strawn, Illinois | Johnny's Selected Seeds 40th Anniversary
- Farm Visit: Circle Fresh Farms - Denver, Colorado | Johnny's Selected Seeds 40th Anniversary
- Grower Profile: Freedom Farm - Freedom, Maine | Johnny's Selected Seeds 40th Anniversary
A Few Customers We’d Like You to Meet
Johnny's 2020 catalog is on its way to growers! As customary for over 45 years, we've packed this year's edition with reliable products and information. By way of preview, we'd like to introduce you to a few of the growers whose success, like yours, is what inspires our work and makes it all worthwhile.
(If you're not on our mailing list already, be sure to request a free copy of our catalog.)
One of things we love best about seed crop breeding, trialing, and production is that it supports a network of individual growers of all walks, that spans the globe. We'd like to introduce you to a few of the growers we have the pleasure to serve, who in turn serve their communities by growing the produce that keeps them vibrant and strong.
"I'm originally from Iowa. But I came back here after walking to my engineering office one morning and realizing I'd rather be walking to a barn! I chose vegetable farming because it took the least amount of start-up capital. My mentor Susan Jutz, an early CSA farmer, pointed me to Johnny's for variety selection and high germination rates. (I start more than 100,000 soil-block transplants a year and can't afford poor germination.) Johnny's also has a consistency of product with a strong history. When I began farming a decade ago, I had 11 CSA members; today I have over 200."
"My dad was in the military. So I grew up everywhere — Louisiana, California, Arkansas, Texas — and settled in Tennessee. My wife and I met here and now have six wonderful children. We got the idea we could grow organic produce in our hot, humid climate. Experienced farmers said it was impossible — but we've succeeded. Today we produce year-round lettuce, mixed greens, and other vegetables in open fields, caterpillar tunnels, high tunnels, and greenhouses. We're testing spinach and other cool-weather produce — and offering online courses, consulting, and workshops to help other farmers thrive here. Our goal — with Johnny's help — is to keep pushing the envelope!"
EXPERT GROWING INFORMATION
"I started growing tomatoes at age 12 on a tiny lot in suburban Virginia. Lori and I met in 1980 in Georgia, where we ran an early organic farm. After our son fell in love with Alaska, we moved to Homer — a foodie destination — and started our farm. That was in 2012. Today we're a market farm growing high-tunnel vegetables and flowers — especially garlic. Our Johnny's sales rep spent five days here, visiting farms and sharing advice. I thought that was fantastic, as what we're doing is new for Alaska. She really wants to see our farms grow. We also love that Johnny's is employee-owned."
MORE ORGANIC CHOICES
"My wife Siri and I are high school sweethearts. She's from Seattle, and I moved here from Boston as a kid. We started farming because Siri wanted to do something that gave back to the wellbeing of other people. So I quit my job as an attorney and joined in. Today we're a 15-acre organic vegetable farm. Radicchio is our signature crop. (We're probably one of the larger radicchio growers in the Pacific Northwest.) We really like Johnny's organic assortment. A lot of their seeds are selected for small growers with traits that are tailored to our scale."
"I'm from Michigan originally. I started gardening in a community plot in Ann Arbor while I was at the university there — and got hooked! I found an apprenticeship in Saratoga, California, worked at various community gardens, helped shape the fifth CSA farm program in the country, and started my own farm in 1998. Today we have five acres of vegetables, flowers, and herbs and sell them through CSAs, a farm stand, and a restaurant. I've been ordering from Johnny's for 40 years. I like their seed quality — and their focus on small- to medium-size growers is just right for me."
"I'm the fourth-generation Gilbertie around here. And we've been at it for 97 years! Today we're the largest organic herb plant grower on the East Coast, with a garden center in Westport and a wholesale farm in Easton. Johnny's great selection of organic seed heirloom tomatoes gives us an opportunity to use one vendor. Also, their service is sensational — it literally blows everyone else away. With other seed companies, delivery takes 5–10 days. If I order by 1:30 p.m. from Johnny's, they come the next day. This lets us do just-in-time delivery, which is better for our cash flow."