Planning Tools & Calculators
Use Johnny's interactive planning tools and calculators to help with planning and scheduling your growing season. From calculating how much seed you'll need and when to plant, replant, and harvest, to the resources you'll require to build your new high tunnel, our calculators can help you streamline your operation to become more productive, profitable, and enjoyable.
- Seed Quantity Calculator
This tool helps you predetermine the number of seeds or plants you will need for a given amount of space. The following 2 charts also serve as reference.
- Direct-Seeded Vegetable Crops • Average Seed Quantity Needed & Average Yield per Row or Acre Chart (PDF)
- Transplanted Vegetable Crops • Average Plants per Seed Quantity & Average Yield Chart (PDF)
- Stationary Caterpillar High Tunnel Worksheet XLS
This spreadsheet will help you determine costs to build a stationary, 12'-wide caterpillar high tunnel of a given desired length using materials suggested by Johnny's.
- Stationary Traditional High Tunnel Worksheet XLS
This spreadsheet will help you determine costs to build a stationary, 12'-wide traditional high tunnel of a given desired length using materials suggested by Johnny's.
- Moveable Caterpillar High Tunnel Worksheet XLS
This spreadsheet will help you determine costs to build a moveable, 12'-wide caterpillar high tunnel of a given desired length using materials suggested by Johnny's.
- Stationary Traditional Gothic Cathedral High Tunnel Worksheet XLS
This spreadsheet will help you determine costs to build a stationary, 14'-wide cathedral high tunnel with traditional style coverings.
- Moveable Modular Gothic Cathedral High Tunnel Worksheet XLS
This spreadsheet will help you determine costs to build a modular moveable, 14'-wide cathedral high tunnel using materials suggested by Johnny's.
- Stationary Traditional Elliptical High Tunnel Worksheet XLS
This spreadsheet will help you determine costs to build a fixed, 24'-wide traditional elliptical high tunnel of a given desired length using materials suggested by Johnny's
- Seed-Starting Date Calculator for Seedlings
This tool figures the dates for starting seedlings indoors and when it's safe to plant particular early crops outside, based on the frost-free date that you specify.
- Succession-Planting Calculator XLS
This spreadsheet calculator allows you to input the date of your first planting of each crop, then it calculates the dates for later plantings. It also allows you to input your first frost date, counting back the appropriate number of days to determine the last date to plant and still get a crop before frost.
- Target Harvest Date Calculator XLS
Use this tool to coordinate production of one of more crops for harvest by a user-defined target date or otherwise important event. Determine seeding date relative to a specific harvest date.
- Fall-Harvest Planting Calculator XLS
This spreadsheet calculator works backward from your first frost date to determine the date to start seeds for crops that will mature as it gets cold.
- Grower's Library
Johnny's Grower's Library contains an extensive collection of helpful product and methodological information, including manuals, charts, planting and growing guides, technical articles, instructional videos, and more. Browse information specific to each of our seed and plant product lines: vegetables, flowers, herbs, and farm seed, as well as tools, supplies, methods, organic certifications, labels, and material safety data sheets.
- Flower Culture Comparison Chart PDF
This chart can help you select the best flowers for your situation. Information includes application, germination time, transplant information, days to harvest, and growing tips.
- Herb Culture Comparison Chart PDF
This chart will help you plan your herb growing strategy. Information includes germination time, transplant recommendations, and days to harvest.
- Vegetable Crop Planting Programs
A series of Planting/Harvesting Programs indicating which varieties of particular crops are best adapted for planting and harvesting in the different seasonal slots, pretrialed and selected for you by Johnny's Research Team.
- Growing Ideas
New & Recently Revised
- Recordkeeping During the Busy Farming Season • by Taylor Mendell of Footprint Farm & Habit Farming
- Choosing Your Hydroponic Grow Medium • A review of common types • Article
- Hydroponic Seed-Starting for Healthy Hydroponic Seedlings • How to begin, what to monitor & why • Article
- Wedding Wisdom 101 • 10 tips for entering the wedding floral landscape • by Debra Prinzing of SlowFlowers
- Lettuce for Every Grower • How to choose & grow the best types & varieties • Article
- 5 Floriculture Trends, Subtle & Seismic • From color to climate, what's on the hive mind • by Debra Prinzing of SlowFlowers
- New! Johnny's Coloring Book • from your friends on Johnny's Tools Team • Downloadable, printable PDF
- Plant Breeding Stories by Rob Johnston, Jr., Founder of Johnny's Seeds • Introducing 3 new Johnny's-bred varieties • Article
- How to Choose the Best Sunflower Varieties for Your Needs • by Lynn Byczinski, Founder, Growing for Market
- Procona: The all-in-one cut-flower harvest, transport & display system • 4-pp Guide (PDF)
- Johnny's 2020 Grower Profiles
- Manual Leek Planter • Tech Sheet (PDF)
- Sustainable Floral Design • Techniques & mechanics for foam-free floristry • Debra Prinzing Interviews Tobey Nelson
- Sustainable Floral Design at the Slow Flowers Summit • Video with Tobey Nelson
- Greens for All Growers: A 3-tiered marketing approach • Article
- Wheel Hoe Selection Guide • Tech Sheet (PDF)
- Onion Bulb Formation, Daylength & Latitude: Map & key features of long-, intermediate- & short-day onions