- Register Today! New-for-2023 • Vegetables & Herbs
- Learning Resources: New-for-2023 • Flowers & Floral Supplies
- Learning Resources: Cover Cropping for Field & Garden with Collin Thompson
- Learning Resources: Growing Under Cover with Niki Jabbour
- Learning Resources: Climate Adaptation for Vegetable & Flower Farmers
- Learning Resources: Baby Leaf Greens: 12 Picks for Market Growers
- Learning Resources: Tomatoes • 10 Unsung Heroes
- Learning Resources: Peppers • Mostly Sweet with a Touch of Heat
- Learning Resources: New for 2022 • Our Top Selections for You
- Learning Resources: Producer Cooperatives for Small-Scale Farmers
- Learning Resources: Beat the Heat • Lettuce & Specialty Greens for Southern Growers
- Learning Resources: Top-Performing Pumpkins for the Market Garden
- Learning Resources: Overwinter Flowers • How to extend your growing season with cold-hardy annuals
- Learning Resources: Slow Flowers Floral Forecast
- Learning Resources: Fundamentals of Tomato Grafting
Cover Cropping for Field & Garden • with Collin Thompson, Johnny's Farm Ops Manager
OVERVIEW: Johnny's Selected Seeds' Research Farm is based in Albion, Maine, with 9 satellite fields nearby. Farm Operations Manager Collin Thompson's program for the farm focuses on building and maintaining a foundation of soil health on the basis of resilient soil systems that include cover cropping, crop rotations, and organic management. Collin touches on the following key aspects of cover cropping in the webinar.
- Determining cover cropping goals; e.g., biomass production, weed suppression, nitrogen fixation, and soil conditioning.
- Crop species selection and resources for decision making, including families and categories of cover crops (grasses, legumes, broadleaf) and online and print resources.
- Cover crop establishment and management, including field and garden bed prep; tools and supplies; weed management; and water management.
- Cover crop termination, including winterkill vs. winter-hardiness; tools, methods, and timing for termination; and residue management.
A Q&A session follows the presentation, for which Collin is joined by Wesley Palmer as moderator.
Webinar Resources for Cover Cropping for Field & Garden
Additional Resources on Cover Cropping
Visit our Farm Seed Library to browse our cover cropping content, including articles on farm seed and cover crop applications, decision-making, key growing information, comparison charts, and more. Learn More…